Try a bit of variety in your kitchen, with this Greek recipe for flavor and spices you will not forget.
Makes 4 servings
1 pound zucchini,shredded
2 cups shredded cooked potato (frozen hash browns will work)
3 medium shallots, minced (divided)
1 egg beaten
2 cups fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
3/4 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, divided
2 pinches of pepper/salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup plain, low fat yogurt
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled,seeded and shredded
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Toss zucchini, potato, half the minced shallots and egg in a large bowl. Ass breadcrumbs, feta, 1 tablespoon dill, a pinch each with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Form mixture into 12 patties. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add 6 patties, cover and cook until crispy and browned on one side, 3
to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the patties, browned side down, to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties and oil.
4. Put latkes into the oven and bake until firm and heated through 10-12 minutes
5. Meanwhile, make the tzatziki. Mix the yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, the rest of the minced shallot, 1 tablespoon dill, a small bowl. Serve the latkes with the sauce on the side.